Saturday, November 28, 2009

Baguettes a la pizza stone

This time I made them on the stone in the middle rack of the oven, rather than in a french bread pan. The loaves rose much more. Nice and fat. But they needed more time in the oven to get brown. I baked them for about 30 minutes total.

It still wound up quicker, because I was able to bake 3 at a time, rather than 2 in my 2-loaf bread pan.

They look and smell terrific. I made sure they were nice and brown before I took them out. I'm sure they taste great.

I used a razor to score them. I will score deeper next time, and hopefully cleaner too. One loaf had nice clean scores and the score lines look good, even though they aren't very deep. The others look torn more than scored. I'm really nit picking here, trying for perfection. Objectively they are great.

I'm making another nk bread - I have it rising in the microwave and will bake it tonight, eat it tomorrow. Although the baguettes have more taste, the boule is better for sandwiches.

I'm reading Peter Reinhart's book - Artisan Breads Every Day. He recommends making the dough and leaving it in the fridge for up to 4 days to build flavor. Once we get rid of some of the T-giving leftovers and have room in the refrigerator I'll give it a try.

I'm far from an artisan, but my bread is consistently edible.

No comments:

Post a Comment