Tuesday, October 13, 2009

In between breads

I won't make another loaf until later in the week.

Until then, I am enjoying one of my all time favorite chocolate desserts: Natalie Houghton's Chocolate Blackout cake. It came from a book called 365 Great Chocolate Desserts, which is now out of print. My wife and I bought it over 20 years ago. The cake recipe is #1 out of 365 and the ganache icing is #2. I made a few other recipes from the book, but the cake is really outstanding. It's my favorite all-time chocolate cake. Someone posted the recipe online here.

I mentioned Wolfgang Puck's chocolate souffle recipe in my first blog post. It's here if anyone wants it. The only thing I changed was the liqueur. I found the orange liqueur to be too strong and chose plain water or Amaretto instead. Otherwise the recipe is simple, quick to make and fantastic.

The two recipes are each amazing in their own ways - but both are powerful blasts of chocolate. Otherwise they are diametric opposites. The cake is rich, dense and fudgy, the souffle light as air. The cake is best made at night and eaten the next day. The souffle is on the table 20 minutes after you say "Gee, I'd like a souffle."

The cake is sort of a hassle to make, and I don't make it often. Maybe that's why I enjoy it so much. It's a rare treat. It takes 45 minutes to assemble it and get it in the oven, with a significant amount of clean up. It's worth it though.

No comments:

Post a Comment