Saturday, October 17, 2009

Loaf 6


Wrong Way Goldfarb! I keep finding things not-to-do.

I'll post a picture of the loaf. Maybe it tastes good. Doesn't look too good. Artisan bread by an artisan on LSD.

1. I let it rise initially for 20 hours
2. I folded it and set on oiled, floured parchment paper. Left it to rise for 15 min.
3. I removed it from the parchment paper and shaped it into a ball.
4. Put it back on the parchment paper and lowered the paper into a glass bowl. Covered the bowl with a towel.
5. Lowered the dough, on the parchment paper sling, into the heated dutch oven after a 2 hour rise.
6. Heated the oven to 500, lowered it to 450 after placing it back in the oven.

Result:
The parchment paper didn't flatten out as it did the last time. It left crevices in the loaf. The loaf didn't brown up as much, but registered about 200 on the instant read therm, so I took it out of the oven. It stayed round, and didn't crack much, just a little on the side.

On the good side, it started to crackle audibly so maybe the crust will be ok, if a little odd looking. I prefer a darker crust though.

Taste and crumb: Will post later. Should be ready to cut by dinner time.

Next time - I guess I will skip the parchment sling. I'll still let it rise on oiled parchment and then remove it to place in the oven. One day I will get this right.

Update:
The crevice shape didn't affect the loaf much. But the texture of the crust and the crumb was like the last time I made a loaf with parchment paper in the pot. Light crust - spongey, springey crumb. Not bad, though. It had good taste, especially with butter which seemed to bring out a whole different level of flavor. I still like the crisper crust better though.

Next time - try to get the dough off the parchment paper gently and place it in the pot. No sling.

No comments:

Post a Comment